[Vision2020] Fw: Legislative Report

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue Apr 5 07:04:08 PDT 2011

Idaho House of Representatives
Legislature.Idaho.Gov

April 4, 2011

Dear Constituents:

At the beginning of the 2011 session of the Idaho Legislature, it was clear that the majority party (Idaho Republicans) would consider no ways to increase revenue and protect education, programs for individuals with disabilities, and others.  Among their solutions was to put forth a program that continues to cut funding for education and call it reform!

They set the stage by creating the impression that educators have little familiarity with technology.  Let's examine that one.  Prior to my retirement from Moscow High School in 2000, teachers volunteered to come to the school on weekends to string wires and provide connectivity to classrooms.  Then every teacher had a computer in his/her classroom.  There were computer labs for student use.  Teachers were required to take classes on use of technology.  Since that time, I have visited the rural school districts in Latah County and observed students using the Idaho Digital Learning Academy for online instruction.  While improvements and upgrades should always be made regarding available technology, educators understand how to best integrate technology into the process of educating our children.  Experienced educators, parents, and school trustees were not consulted about education "reform" and their testimony was not heeded.  Teachers have a knowledge base on education issues much superior to that of the insurance people, farmers and ranchers, and others who are making high-stakes decisions that affect the future of children and families.

Further, certain legislators attempt to fuel a perception of incompetence in our local schools.  In a letter to the Chairmen of the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee, Senator John Geodde states:  ".To use the words of an administrator, 'I'm sure some districts would make bad decisions, but they do now.'  The Idaho legislature has . attempted to reduce the 'bad decisions' made locally."  I am not aware of which administrator made the remarks Senator Geodde quotes, but such a claim does not fairly represent the situation in our schools.   I have visited many Idaho school districts and have been very favorably impressed with their earnest and informed efforts to provide a quality education with limited resources.

The statement of purpose in education-related legislation, put forward by Representatives JoAn Wood and Bob Nonini , contains the following claim:  "Too often, Idaho is a 'soft landing' for individuals who have ethical problems, because Idaho's chief certification officer currently lacks the authority to deny an application for a (teaching) certificate."  I believe I have met more politicians with ethical problems than educators.

There are many, many bad things in the "education reform" package put forward by State Superintendent of Instruction Tom Luna and passed by Idaho Legislators.  Following are some of the fiscal impacts of the legislation.  The "reformers" had a desire to provide laptops for students and a pay-for-performance plan for educators.  Of course, those are expensive items and one might wonder how to pay for them following a year when severe cuts were made to the public education budget and we continue to have sub-standard revenue.  It's not a problem if your sense of ethics dictates that teachers should pay the way by lowering their paychecks.  That's right!  In the six years from fiscal year 2012 to fiscal year 2017, the plan projects reductions in state support for teacher pay in the amounts of 1.67%, 4.05%, 6.3%, 6.42%, 6.21% and 5.74%.  Approximately, that will reduce support for the lowest paid teachers by $300 for every percent and the highest paid teachers by $474 for every percent.  When we consider a 6% reduction, it amounts to about $1800 for the lowest paid teachers and $2,844 for the highest paid teachers.   As you can see, the dollar loss becomes significantly more for employing teachers with more education and experience, so districts will be significantly challenged to retain such teachers.   Class size will inevitably increase, as districts find they cannot maintain teaching staff due to these reductions in support.

Over these six years, the total proposed cuts in state support for salaries of educators is $269,709,000.  The amount proposed to support pay for performance is $243,200,000.  In other words, educators are giving up more to pay for the plan than they get back.  $26,509,000 more!

When the Idaho Lottery was put in place, half of the money was to go the Permanent Building Fund to support maintenance and construction of state buildings (including support for higher education facilities).  Half was to go to the School District Building Account for distribution to public schools for support of facility-related expense.  Since fiscal year 2010, the school district lottery funds have been hijacked to prop up the public school operations budget.  And the "reform plan" projects that this practice will continue through fiscal year 2017.  The amount in question is approximately $17,500,000 each year.

Even with these shenanigans, there isn't enough money projected to pay for the "reform plan" for years 2013 through 2017.  In fact, the information provided shows it lacking $10,740,000 each of those years, for a total shortage of $53,700,000.  Our State Superintendent has suggested the possibility of making up those funds by "funding the least seven efficient counties as if consolidated."  Well, if that doesn't work, we might see if the teachers would give up more of their pay.

There are other gems of legislative thought from this session worthy of mention.  These include three bills dealing with nullification (back to civil war times); a bill proposing that we allow school districts to use state money intended for supporting kindergarten programs for something else; legislation to allow concealed weapons on college campuses; and we have been careful to turn down any federal support related to the federal Affordable Health Care Act, even if it assists in the development of Idaho programs.  The House defeated important legislation related to early intervention for young children with special challenges, with only two members of the majority party voting to support these children.

You can probably sense that I am disgusted with the efforts of the Idaho Legislature in 2011.  Disgusted and disappointed.  There are serious problems to solve, and we didn't come close.  I urge you to remain engaged in the political process, and do all you can to help influence and improve these outcomes.

Sincerely,

Representative Shirley Ringo