[Vision2020] And For You Yard Sale Addicts . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Apr 3 10:36:40 PDT 2011

Courtesy of Alabama Live at:

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/03/first_day_of_richard_scrushy_y.html

First day of Richard Scrushy yard sale attracts more than 1,000 people

More than 1,200 people attended the Richard Scrushy estate sale today and
spent more than $120,000 to buy the HealthSouth founder's prized
possessions for pennies on the dollar.

Whether it was a model airplane of one of the former HealthSouth Corp.
jets or a piece of furniture that was once in one of Scrushy's homes, the
sale that had the feel of a mega yard sale had shoppers leaving feeling
pleased with their finds today.

Attorneys for shareholders are selling off the bric-a-brac of the
imprisoned HealthSouth founder's personal belongings -- everything from
his Armani suits to his children's zoo animal sculptures -- to collect on
a $2.9 billion civil court judgment Scrushy has been ordered to pay.

Scrushy's clothes were the most popular items -- carrying a mix of
designer labels at yard-sale prices. Shirts were sold for $10 to $20 while
sports coats, leather jackets and suits could be had for as little as $80.
Shoes and boots were sold for $20.

A box of ties, most of them Hermes silk, sold quickly at $25 each. Cole
Haan shoes were going for as little as $5.

"I think everyone in the checkout line has some article of clothing in
their hands," said John Jones, the representative from Samual T. Freeman &
Co. auctioneers and appraisers overseeing the Scrushy sale.

Lisa Dawson, who drove down from Nashville after her mother told her about
the sale, was one of those with clothes and shoes in the checkout line.

"I just had to come," she said. "I'm glad I did."

Elsewhere, furniture and art work could be found for as little as less
than $100 up to thousands of dollars.

A picture of Scrushy pulling a HealthSouth wagon -- an expression Scrushy
coined to promote a cooperative corporate culture when he was CEO at the
company -- could be had for $300.

An autographed Miami Dolphins jersey by former quarterback Dan Marino was
for sale for $750. An autographed photo of Scrushy with former Gov. Don
Siegelman was priced at $500.

Frieda Murfee grew up in Selma and knew Scrushy's family. She tried to get
shoes for her brother, but ended up paying $5 for a stuffed fish.

The sale is being conducted to help pay a $2.9 billion judgment, Scrushy
was ordered to pay after he was found to be the "CEO of the fraud" by a
civil court in Jefferson County. Lawyers have already collected more than
$100 million, mostly through the sale of Scrushy's cars and jewelry.

Scrushy was acquitted of criminal fraud charges but was convicted in a
separate criminal case of bribing former Gov. Don Siegelman and still has
more than two years left on the prison sentence he is serving in Beaumont,
Texas.

Photos of Yad Sale

http://photos.al.com/4461/gallery/richard_scrushy_estate_sale/index.html

Seeya round town, Moscow.