[Vision2020] Yes, Coal Fired Plant and Radon Radiation: Was: Re: Is it on its way to Idaho?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 10:55:23 PDT 2011

I did not exactly say that "coal plants are more dangerous" than
nuclear power plants, but that coal plants release more radioactivity
than, at least so far, nuclear power plants have; and this is by a
large margin.  This is a scientific fact, which my post documented,
though the kinds of radioactivity released by either coal or nuclear
plants is an important issue.

Nuclear power plant accidents are especially dangerous to those
nearby, due to the concentration of the radiation.  But to argue
nuclear power in general is more dangerous than coal power is like
saying because when a large passenger air plane crashes (akin to a
major nuclear power plant accident), hundreds die, flying is more
dangerous than driving a car; it is not.

Considering all impacts from nuclear power plants and coal plants (we
should consider the whole life cycle from mining forward for coal and
uranimum, both with negative impacts), coal plants have, so far, been
responsible for far more premature deaths and disease to humans than
nuclear power plants.  Coal plants have considerable impacts on
respiratory illness, and release mercury: these impacts can extend far
away from the coal plant that released these emissions.

Yes, "coal plants are more dangerous" than nuclear power plants, when
considering all the impacts, just as naturally occurring radon gas is
more dangerous to human health, given the facts of the premature
deaths resulting from radon, than nuclear power plants:

http://bwengr.com/blog/tag/deaths-from-nuclear-vs-deaths-from-coal/

>From source above:

"The explanation lies in the large number of deaths caused by
pollution. “It’s the whole life cycle that leads to a trail of
injuries, illness and death,” says Paul Epstein, associate director of
the Center for Health and the Global Environment at Harvard Medical
School. Fine particles from coal power plants kill an estimated 13,200
people each year in the US alone, according to the Boston-based Clean
Air Task Force (The Toll from Coal, 2010). Additional fatalities come
from mining and transporting coal, and other forms of pollution
associated with coal. In contrast, the International Atomic Energy
Agency and the UN estimate that the death toll from cancer following
the 1986 meltdown at Chernobyl will reach around 9000."
A friend of mine who lives in New York joked in 2001 that the
Northeast US is the "tailpipe of the US," given that a lot of
emissions from coal plants in other areas of the US are carried into
the Northeast US.  There were warnings that year about too high of
mercury levels in fish from Northeast US lakes, from coal fired plant
emissions.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett