[Vision2020] Religious Knowledge Test Scores

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue Sep 28 19:32:51 PDT 2010

Thank you, Wayne. The more people learn about the religions they are
supposed to believe the less likely they are to believe them.

For the same reason, the best biblical research has been done by
scholars who are not restrained by ecclesiastical or dogmatic
constraints, like concern for tenure, publications, pensions, etc.

Personally, I have been told by several local young people that they
have been told not to discuss the Bible with me because, as one young
man put it, I know the Bible "like the back of my hand."

I have often encountered people who imagine that the Bible is a
wonderful book that would solve practically all of the world's
problems if only people would read it and follow what it says.

To such people I feel like saying, "Please read the bloody book!"

Ralph

Art Deco wrote:
Atheists Know More About Religion Than the Pious
http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/
atheists_know_more_about_religion_than_religious_people_20100928/
Posted on Sep 28, 2010
Well, this is awkward. The Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life
undertook a study in which nonbelievers correctly answered more
religious knowledge questions than the devout. Mormons and Jews also
scored well and, like atheists, know more about Christianity than
Christians.

Here are some of Pew's surprising findings:

   More than four-in-ten Catholics in the United States (45%) do not
know that their church teaches that the bread and wine used in
Communion do not merely symbolize but actually become the body and
blood of Christ. About half of Protestants (53%) cannot correctly
identify Martin Luther as the person whose writings and actions
inspired the Protestant Reformation, which made their religion a
separate branch of Christianity. Roughly four-in-ten Jews (43%) do
not recognize that Maimonides, one of the most venerated rabbis in
history, was Jewish.

   In addition, fewer than half of Americans (47%) know that the
Dalai Lama is Buddhist. Fewer than four-in-ten (38%) correctly
associate Vishnu and Shiva with Hinduism. And only about a quarter of
all Americans (27%) correctly answer that most people in Indonesia-
the country with the world's largest Muslim population-are Muslims.

  Complete Pew Survey (very interesting!):

   http://pewforum.org/Other-Beliefs-and-Practices/U-S-Religious-
Knowledge-Survey.aspx