[Vision2020] Mega-loads Must be stopped

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Sep 20 08:25:55 PDT 2010

It appears that the only people in Moscow that don't give a damn about
this topic are sitting on the city council.

Courtesy of today's (September 20, 2010) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with
thanks to Robin Magnuson.

Mega-loads must be stopped

"Official" responses to all the questions asked about and objections made
to the proposed mega-loads transports across U.S. Highway 12 could
logically lead to this conclusion: Our Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter and our
four-man congressional delegation, and the bureaucrats of Idaho
Transportation Department and certain private interests have conspired
with international oil exploiters to pull a fast one on the residents of
north Idaho.

However, excellent reporting by the Lewiston Tribune, editorial opinion in
several regional newspapers, a statement by the Nez Perce Tribe, a clear
majority of many letters to editors, many signatures on petitions, opinion
expressed at three open meetings forced upon ITD, clear statements by
Reps. Shirley Ringo and Tom Trail, and a successful lawsuit resulting in
an injunction demonstrate that concerned residents of north Idaho have
seen through the scam and have expressed this conclusion: As a matter of
law and of common-sense protection of the public interest, we do not want
these loads permitted on our Highway 12.

May the Idaho Supreme Court reach the same conclusion as the people of
north Idaho. If the court does not, then perhaps our Gov. Otter will find
the courage to exercise his executive authority and insist that permits be
denied. If he does that then he will finally act on behalf of the best
interests of the people instead of encouraging corporate profiteering at
our expense.

Robin Magnuson, Moscow

Later, Moscow.

Tom Hansen