[Vision2020] Correction/Climate Update Re: Right-Mind.US 2008 Post: "Scientist Predicts Ice Age Within 10 Years"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 13:33:00 PDT 2010

I just discovered that I was named on a local blog, regarding my views on
solar activity influencing Earth's temperature, in August 2008, as can be
read at the website first below:

http://right-mind.us/blogs/blog_0/archive/2008/08/20/62455.aspx

I suppose I should ignore this.  I'm inviting negative responses on the
Internet or elsewhere, from some, perhaps.  But given the results of my
research into climate science is grossly distorted in this comment, and
developments in global weather/climate in the approximately two years since
this right-mind.us post are very relevant to the claim of a pending ice age,
and the theory that solar variations are the primary driver of Earth's
currently warming climate, I decided to respond here.

The statement in question is in bold italic quotes below.  Though my name is
misspelled, given I have had brief exchanges with the host of
right-mind.uson the subject of anthropogenic climate warming in the
past, I assume I am
the person referenced.  There are a number of people named "Ted Moffett" in
the US.

I have no professional certification as a scientist, true, but the climate
scientists I reference regarding solar activity have impressive
qualifications.  What "non-scientists" say about this issue is not
especially important regarding the scientific truth, so I don't know why
"other non-scientists" are mentioned.

*"Of course, Ted Moffet and other non-scientists with the church of global
warmingTM say that solar activity has nothing at all to do with the earth’s
temperature."*

I cannot recall once ever stating or writing that "solar activity has
nothing at all to do with the earth's temperature."  In fact, in a
Vision2020 post in July 2008 ([Vision2020] Response To Right-mind.us Re:
Global Warming & Climate Science:
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2008-July/055108.html ),
explicitly answering some of the climate science claims on right-mind.us, I
wrote "...I am not questioning that solar variations have influenced climate
change in
recent centuries."

Regarding the 2008 claim of a pending ice age within ten years, time is
slipping away.

Since 2008, despite the deepest solar minimum in nearly a century, according
to NASA, occurring in 2009 (read here:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at
nasa/2009/01apr_deepsolarminimum/ ), global average surface temperatures
reached a new 12 month period record high, for the instrumental record, in
2010, given a 12 month running mean temperature, not calendar year,
according to scientists at the Goddard Institute for Space Studies (read
here: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/paper/gistemp2010_summary.pdf ; full
paper
here: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/paper/gistemp2010_draft0803.pdf ),
with the effects of the 2009 deep solar minimum, that should have had a
cooling effect.  This development raises rather serious questions regarding
the theory that Earth's warming climate over the past century is primarily
due to solar variations.

We are now in new solar cycle 24 (read here:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/10jan_solarcycle24/
),
and depending on the magnitude, this should have some warming effect on
Earth's climate.

Arctic sea ice volume and extent show a continued low in 2009-2010, with the
volume reaching a record low in the 2010 summer season, and the 2010 extent
the third lowest on record, continuing well below the 1979-2000 average,
according to PIOMAS and NSIDC (read here: [Vision2020] Arctic Sea Ice
Volume/Extent Sept. 2010 Update:
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2010-September/071563.html ).
The discussion of Arctic sea ice recovery of significance common on the
Internet appears to be denying the facts.  Though Antarctic sea ice has been
increasing, this is no indication that in the Northern Hemisphere, or
globally, an ice age is pending.  Both the Northwest and Northeast Arctic
ocean passages can be navigated this summer season (read here:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1589 ),

Calendar year 2010 global average surface temperature, according to NCDC,
from Jan.-Aug., is now tied with 1998 for the warmest on record since 1880
(read here:
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100915_globalstats.html ).