[Vision2020] Frontier (was Verizon) DSL

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Wed Sep 15 16:53:39 PDT 2010

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the response, and thanks, too, to everyone else who is tossing
info out there -- I appreciate benefitting from those of you who know much
more than I do.  If you don't mind sharing, what symptoms did you see
indicating that your circuit was saturated?

Shawn, http://www.speedtest.net/ is what I've been using forever, and I also
use http://www.pingtest.net/.  Not that I understand the results I get other
than I recognize when something looks off.

Generally, I get download speeds in the neighborhood of 2.6-2.9 Mb/s &
upload speeds around 0.6 - 0.7 Mb/s.  For the past few/several weeks, I've
been seeing download speeds in the 2.3-2.6 Mb/s range & upload around 0.06
(no, that's *not* a typo) - 0.25Mb/s range.

When I use pingtest, I generally have 0% packet loss, ping in the 40-60 ms
range, and jitter below 10 ms.  More recently, I'm routinely seeing 2-5%
packet loss, pings around 90-100 ms, and jitter in the 50-75% range.

We've also been having intermittent phone problems (the problem is a line
run a few poles away) for 2+ years now, although I never noticed Internet
speed taking a hit when noise was particularly bad.  But, I can't say that I
ever specifically looked for it.  In any case, the repair guys have been
saying for 2+ years that the cable somewhere down the line in our
neighborhood needs to be replaced but that Verizon was too cheap to do it,
so they keep having to do "temporary" splices or something like that.

When I called Frontier today, static on the line was bad enough that I could
hardly hear (again), so perhaps there's a correlation I never noticed.
Kudos to Frontier for getting the magical repair dudes out to fix the noise
today, and I've noticed our Internet speed is back to normal.  Yay!  The bad
news is that the fix was yet another "temporary" splice.  It's amazing how
one gets used to a gradual increase in line noise over time -- after the
repair today when I was making a test call, the connection was so quiet I
thought the line was dead!

Ken, thanks for your detailed response.  I'm curious to see how things with
Frontier progress as well.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****