[Vision2020] Moscow's Care Less Attitude Toward Highway 12 and Megaloads

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Sep 14 07:37:56 PDT 2010

Greetings Visionaires (and the rest of y'all) -

Remember back on August 16th when a couple concerned citizens spoke before
the Moscow City Council regarding Conoco's intention to transport several
excessive loads (in excess of 200 tons each and 30+ feet in width) on
Highway 12 . . .  and explained (in detail) how this would have an extremely
adverse impact upon the Palouse in general and Moscow in particular?

http://www.moscowcares.com/081610_PubCom_Hwy12Res.htm

Remember Councilman Wayne Krauss' "Why should we care" response on September
7th?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2EHXOxFSg

Well . . .

As this subject was not scheduled on the September 13th agenda for Moscow's
Public Works and Finance Committee, Councilman Tom Lamar brought up the
topic for "future consideration", only to be shot down by council members
Walter Steed and Dan Carscallen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9KW2nQfW9Y

Apparently Councilman Steed and Councilman Carscallen simply do not wish to
involve themselves in such an important public issue.

If you would like to express your concerns for this issue, you may contact
them at:

Dan Carscallen

dcarscallen at ci.moscow.id.us

Walter Steed

wmsteed at ci.moscow.id.us

Footnote: On October 1st the Idaho Supreme Court will decided on Conoco's
appeal regarding Judge Bradbury's decision to suspend transportation of the
megaloads on the US Highway 12 corridor.  Any community-based consciousness,
on behalf of the City of Moscow, would have to be demonstrated prior to that
date.  Failing that, the issue becomes moot.

Ya know something, Moscow?  A previous city council actually gave a damn.
For our current city council to take any action, it would have to involve
selling water rights across state lines or public finances defending city
council members against public records request.

Perhaps we should require that members of the Moscow City Council raise
their hands if/when they are actually going to do anything constructive, as
it is getting more and more difficult to distinguish between death and
natural movement of the council.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown