[Vision2020] Neighbors Doing the Right Thing

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 12:59:37 PDT 2010

Absolutely spot-on Roger.  It's not about intolerance, hatred, nor
bigotry either.  There are currently over 100 mosques in the 5
boroughs in NY.  With the exception of a small group of fruitcakes,
general hatred and intolerance towards Muslims is not the issue.  In
fact I find it rather amusing how the Muslim community points at the
anti-ground zero mosque group as being bigoted and intolerant given
the number of Christian / Jewish / Catholic place of worship are in
"traditional" Islamic countries:

Egypt has between 7 and 10 million Christians - but that is difficult
to verify since it is against the law to take a census on Christian
numbers.  Since church property is owned by the county, a decree from
the President is required in order to build non-Muslim churches.  I'll
let you guess how may of these decrees has been signed.

Saudi Arabia - No Christian churches are allowed. The open practice of
Christianity is punishable by death.  How's that for a show of
tolerance.

Turkey - the Christian minorities are forbidden to construct new or
restore destroyed churches, may not possess buildings nor land, and
cannot open schools. Christians are forbidden from the military,
political offices and some professions.

Pakistan - where some 5 million Christians and "apostates" would be
put to death if discovered.

Iran -  conducts routine "monitoring" of Churches and Christian
training centers are routinely monitored with widespread closure
and/or destruction of these centers.  Christian bookshops have been
closed as of 1990, and the circulation of Christian literature is
illegal.  Several prominent Christian leaders have been assassinated
or executed, and as of 2008, no new churches have been built.

Intolerance indeed.

GS