[Vision2020] Liberals Flee to Canada

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 13:54:04 PDT 2010

In fact, there has been a significant increase in the number of US citizens
"fleeing" to Canada over the past decade, for a variety of reasons,
including Bush administration policies ( "The Number of Americans Moving to
Canada in 2006 Hit a 30-Year High":
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3433005&page=1 ; "How to flee to Canada"
February 23, 2004 http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3302.html ), years
before the so called "Tea Party" rise to prominence.

Can Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin et. al. and the Tea Party possibly be
spokespeople for a cultural/political movement more egregious than the
evangelical, gun toting, homophobic ("God, Guns and Gays," as some suggested
summed up the major themes of the 2004 Bush/Kerry presidential race)
aggregation that supported the Bush administration?

Fundamentally, the same ideologically aligned individuals who supported the
Bush administration are now Tea Party supporters, despite the more explicit
but half baked libertarian political ideology they espouse.

Frankly, I was surprised Obama won the presidency, given the power of the
voting block that supported the Bush administration, which I doubt would
have happened if the economy at the time had been booming.  Middle of the
road Republican (Republicrat? Or Demopublican?) leaning voters wallets
overruled their ideology on other issues, when Obama was able to gain some
support from this swing group.

There is a theory that McCain was a token sacrificial candidate by the
Republicans, who knew very well they had little change of winning the White
House in 2008, given the economic collapse.  The longer term plan
being, when the economy or employment rates do not rebound quickly, as we
now see is happening, Republicans can make major gains in the US Congress,
partly by blaming the economic woes on Democratic policies.  If the
US unemployment rate does not significantly drop by 2012, Obama's chances
for re-election are slim.

As is well known to anyone studying the global economy, part of the cause
for the current continuing high US unemployment rate is a restructuring of
the multinational economic system.  This was likely to happen to some extent
even without the Wall Street/banking meltdown.  And is likely to result in
more long term US high unemployment.  This development was understood to be
underway by some in positions of economic power before the economic
meltdown.

The Tea Party is unwittingly allowing themselves to be stooges for the
hegemony of multinational corporate capitalism, as with grand irony they
promote less government, while they are manipulated into more control over
their lives by multinational corporate interests, who exploit grass roots
patriotism to promote a political movement that will encourage a
multinational corporate friendly legislative agenda in the US, aimed at
government policies controlling the very voters shouting about freedom from
government control.

Quotes below from the following article:

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/debt-and-unemployment-global-capitalism-responsible-part-ii

A Publication of Yale Center for the Study of Globalization
<http://www.ycsg.yale.edu/>
 Debt and Unemployment: Is Global Capitalism Responsible? – Part II
"In declaring an end to recession, economists fall into two camps: One side,
including economists with the Obama administration, maintains high rates of
unemployment are cyclical and jobs will return soon; others contend that the
US economy confronts fundamental restructuring, with massive unemployment
lingering for years."
-----------

"The US economy has gone through periods of restructuring before – from
water-power to steam engines and horse-driven transport to automobiles and
computers – with the US economy still leading. Increased globalization of
production, supply chains, IT-driven manufacturing, along with the rise of
large populous economies, have created a new context for a churning caused
by massive unemployment."

Article on corporate manipulation of Tea Party movement by oil industry
interests:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/heather-taylormiesle/beyond-washington-the-oil_b_695626.html

"One of David Koch's pet projects is the group Americans for
Prosperity<http://americansforprosperity.org/national-site>,
a group he founded and funds but positions as a grassroots movement. An ad
for one of its training sessions for Tea Party activists says, "The voices
of average Americans are being drowned out by lobbyists and special
interests. But you can do something about it."

But when Americans for Prosperity hosts at least 80 events protesting
climate legislation, is it really acting in the interest of average
Americans or the interest of oil industry donors?

When it funds an attack ad
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANP-_JFST94>against Representative
Betsey Markey from Colorado because she supported
climate legislation last summer that would have brought 30,000 jobs to her
state<http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:wQvyp6K0CIsJ:are.berkeley.edu/~dwrh/CERES_Web/Docs/ES_DRHFK091025.pdf+uc+berkeley+aces+analysis&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjRQWMGA2aUqihaBw9GjPsbpFswxHk_5wdSirgnwLUrFuGZZbJJnIO98mEPWGIOr07f0q3NiR6zOAyEvbfLcutseazZIJWu1Ig-ScG4tegwYM_wSZaTBNcZpWlPwGJK4KW30Ocr&sig=AHIEtbQq0G7oGmDvoYW5-ND4jC7DzE0Hag>,
who is it benefiting?

And when the group pledges to spend an additional $45 million before the
midterm elections, is that money really coming from grassroots activists, or
from deep corporate pockets? These fat cats pretend to fraternize with the
ordinary folks who dangle tea bags from their tri-cornered hats, but, in
fact, they are just using activists to put a populist face on their industry
agenda.

Manipulating other people's fears about the economy when you are a
billionaire -- I would call that the depth of cynicism. But considering
those billionaires are getting in the way of climate solutions, clean energy
and green jobs in America; I have to instead call it dangerous. "

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett