[Vision2020] Feeling the need to be patronized?

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 22:42:01 PDT 2010

Bill,

As I've done earlier, I'll start by saying I'm a KRFP board member.

I wish Rose were overstating the problem, but that putrid editorial epitomizes the journalism found in the Daily News. I suppose the DN doesn't have to worry about candidates dodging them; their worst worries are the comfy chairs and soft cushions. Perhaps before being lulled into sleep they'll have to dodge a couple of fat softball questions. Certainly nothing challenging will be asked by those intrepid scribes.

The quality of the analysis sinks to its usual low level. I like this:

'Now, Young's opponent, Shirley Ringo, makes the point that she has gone to
every candidate forum, even those that weren't particularly sympathetic to her
as a Democrat. Well, so did these three Republicans.'

Umm, Mr Rozen: Isn't it easier for the three Republicans to show up in front of a supportive crowd?

The DN's editorial board proclaims that KRFP small listenership is reason enough to skip a commitment to participate in the debates they broadcast. What would they do if candidates decided not to speak to poor-quality newspapers?

No, this isn't the end of democracy in Latah County. Some members of the media try to get candidates to talk to the people. I'm proud to be associated with a community radio station that works hard to keep both democracy and journalism alive in this county.  The DN isn't doing anything for towards either end; it's more interested in being a filter.

But what could I know? I'm not one of these journalists, I'm just a member of the chattering class.

Sunil Ramalingam