[Vision2020] GOP & The Lack of Civility

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 28 14:03:22 PDT 2010

Visionaries:

I don't know about anyone else other than Sue Hovey who referenced
Klingenberg's diatribe here on the Viz, but I was quite taken aback at the
language used by David Klingenberg in his recent letter to the editor of the
Daily News explaining why he'd be voting straight GOP ticket.  For those who
didn't read it, I'm pasting it at the bottom of this email.

I found his language frankly irresponsible, particularly coming from a
failed GOP candidate.

It seems to me a reasonable question is:  where on earth have people like
Klingenberg gotten the idea that such behavior is acceptable?

The answer I've arrived at is that we regrettably need look no further than
state & local GOP leadership.  Below please read an email sent out by LeeAnn
Callear mere hours after PostcardGate.  Note that the GOP wasted no time in
using PostcardGate as an excuse to further fundraise, which has become a
classic GOP tactic.  (The original email had the now familiar scan of the
postcard attached, but I've deleted it to keep from blowing up Visionaries'
inboxes.)

For those who aren't aware, LeeAnn Callear is somewhat of a bigwig in the
Idaho Republican Party.  She serves as a precinct committeeman in Clearwater
County, she's the Region II Chairwoman for the Idaho GOP, and she sits on
the Standing Rules Committee for the Idaho GOP.  IOW, she's someone who
knows better but doesn't care:  "nothing is too low in politics" is
apparently the belief of people like her and those behind the anonymous
mailings.  The fact that she and others like her are so eager to absolutely
savage someone from their own party who served us in the legislature for so
many years is beneath contempt.

When GOP leadership sends out emails like this, is it really any wonder
there's a distinct lack of civility in politics?  Contrary to Klingenberg's
assertion, it seems to me a more accurate statement is that it's Republicans
who have who have given up on trying to win on the issues when two of their
local candidates are now too scared to answer questions from the very people
they want to vote for them.

Hmmm . . . now that I'm thinking about it, the email below is clearly
campaign fundraising and lacks a financial disclosure, doesn't it?

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****