[Vision2020] Schmear?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Oct 27 10:27:23 PDT 2010

You raise a good point, Wayne -- if the information is true, it's not a "smear," necessarily, and certainly not libelous.  The motivation for making this information, already public record, even more public, and in the context of a campaign, is what would make it a smear.  Some hold to that argument -- clearly.  But when one is seeking electoral office, which entails not only some understanding of law and ethics, and ought to require at least a minimal level of smarts and integrity, it seems to me that Young's past troubles are appropriate to bring up.

A candidate's medical records, past addictions now conquered, and religious convictions shouldn't be part of the debate -- unless those things, like religious views that would make working with those of other faiths difficult if not impossible, relate directly to his or her ability to be effective once in office.  An example of that  has been demonstrated in multi-media exuberance over the last month or so, and it's tainted the religious faiths involved, the candidate unwilling to distance himself from ugly bigotry and ignorance, and the entire political process.

Young also has claimed that he's been "brainwashed" in the public schools, so it's reasonable to question -- vigorously -- how he might deal with funding for public education. Those questions, and whatever relevant information would educate the voters, ought to be the purview of the local print media.  But we're getting our information, in too many cases, from anonymous mailings -- which I deplore.  I have zero respect for people who holler loudly, or hint maliciously, and then hide behind anonymity or pseudonyms or false-flag groups.  Those who act so cowardly will continue, regardless of what kind of journalism we have here.  But the cowards often whisper -- or shout -- about things we ought to be hearing about from local reporters.  If we had something in Moscow even close to real journalism, these things would be the subject of robust investigation.  But all I've seen from the Daily News in the nearly nine years that I've lived here is a robust desire to ingratiate itself with the Kirk.  While it undoubtedly builds up the wine cellars of the editors involved, it certainly hasn't built up the citizenry of Moscow and the rest of Latah County.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com