[Vision2020] The Reward Fund

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Oct 18 11:39:16 PDT 2010

Your story, Tom, is both touching and biting.  I found it  touching in the sense that those of us who love Moscow, and who love our fellow human beings, can join together to nurture and protect a community of people whose common goal is simply to live in harmony, integrity, and productivity together -- and this incident, with the shameful rhetoric surrounding it, poisons the common well from which we all drink.  But your analysis was biting insofar as it provoked in me, and, I hope, in others, the jolting realization that something has gone terribly wrong among us all.  It was the "slap" we all need, I think, to rise from the buzz of righteous anger to DO SOMETHING to fight against the tide of ugliness that's been creeping into Moscow, and gathering force, for as long as I've lived here.

I love that tolerance is a virtue greatly valued, and almost always practiced, by the decent people of Moscow.  But too many, for too long, have esteemed "tolerance" at the expense of courage.  Good progressives, honest liberals, and decent communitarians lose nothing by recognizing that there are many things right here among us that simply cannot be tolerated; in fact, they lose much when they refuse to grasp that.  Those of us who value community and call ourselves progressives and liberals MUST begin to value integrity and courage even more than the bland, tepid, ignorant and affluence-fed "tolerance" that has left Moscow vulnerable to the seething viciousness manifested in our mailboxes this weekend.

There's nothing in my Christian faith or my progressive social views that requires that I tolerate bigotry and hate, and everything inherent in both requires that I vehemently -- and not just privately -- reject it.  I hope that my progressive neighbors see, finally, the monster they've "tolerated" and realize that tolerance of the intolerable is no virtue at all.

So, Tom, thank you for the call.  The perp here IS a thief, and you can count on me to contribute.  Granted, I'll probably have very few friends after this post, but I'm willing to put my money where my keyboard is.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com