[Vision2020] DN on-line article on Bouma postcard

Bill London london at moscow.com
Sun Oct 17 13:05:24 PDT 2010

Here's the Daily News online article posted Sat night.
BL
-----------------------------------
Breaking News
Bouma denies inflammatory postcard was from him
October 16, 2010, 5:55 pm

 Idaho Senate candidate for District 6 Gresham Bouma is denying an inflammatory postcard sent to an unknown number of mailboxes throughout Latah County came from his campaign.

Paula Bauer, campaign manager for Bouma, said she has fielded about 40 calls throughout the day, mostly from Bouma supporters. She said she has confirmed postcards were sent to homes in Harvard, Moscow, Deary and Genesee.

"It's broad and it's ugly," she said.

The postcard states voting for Bouma and Latah County Commissioner District 3 candidate Dave McGraw "is not enough."

The postcard states "You are not a true Christian and you are on the path to hell," and states voters should be "true believers" or be "struck down."

The mailing states it is from a group called "Friends of Bouma," a group Bauer said doesn't exist,and uses a photo of Bouma and his wife, Wendy. The card uses the P.O. Box associated with Bouma's campaign. Bauer said the Bouma campaign has contacted the Latah County Sheriff's Office to begin an investigation into the unapproved use of the campaign mailing address and the unauthorized use of the copyrighted picture.

The postcard does not state who paid for it, which is in violation of campaign finance law, Bauer said.

Bauer said the postcard's message is "despicable" and does not reflect the candidate's personal views, nor those of his family.

"Since the beginning of the primary, we have run a clean campaign and have refused to engage in the dirty tactics that have become the norm for political campaigning," Bouma said in a news release. "Those who oppose my candidacy are desperately trying to drown out my message with innuendo, lies and personal attacks."

The release states the attack is an attempt to use doctrinal differences to divide residents who have common political values.

"Latah County voters are intelligent, fair minded and able to see through these slimy tactics," the release states.

Bauer said other political candidates such as Latah County Treasurer candidate Lois Reed has also fielded calls on the postcard.

McGraw said the postcard is offensive on many levels.

"My first thoughts are that this is so far from who Dave McGraw is that it isn't even funny," he said.

"I was completely devastated," he continued. "This thing is complete and total garbage."

He said he was proud of other the other candidates in all of the political races for keeping the campaign positive.

"The real shame is now instead of spending time talking about who I am and what I am about," McGraw said, "I'm now defending a ridiculous postcard."