[Vision2020] Got an interesting postcard from the Friends of Bouma today...

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Oct 17 11:14:34 PDT 2010

If Paula files a criminal complaint, then -- and, frankly, only then -- would I believe it's a hoax.  If it was perpetrated by someone on the Right to make Bouma appear to be the victim of unreasonable disdain because of his religious views, I would be surprised.  He has associated himself gladly with too many people who truly, as a matter of religious conviction, believe this; they're not likely to make a joke of things they hold near and dear, however hatefully, as a matter of what they believe to be Biblical principle.  I absolutely don't believe any organized faction associated with the Latah County Democrats, the Schmidt campaign, or any other reasonable group would do this, and I'm offended at the thought that Schroeder would mastermind this.  I think there are two possibilities:

1.  It's just what it appears to be, by the people it appears to be from, for the purpose it clearly announces, with the intent of stirring up the faithful to remember that a Sovereign God cares about this election -- and hates the people named.

2.  All of the above, EXCEPT . . . Bouma realizes he might lose and decides that if that's the case, he'll go out in what he sees as a blaze of prophetic, glorified martyrdom.  In this scenario, if he thinks he's gonna lose, he's gonna lose in a way that frames it as a loss that typifies the cursed debauchery of a condemned nation, and the defeat of a gallant martyr for the faith of his fathers.  Basically, in this case, he senses the way the winds are blowing and decides to sail along with them in a way that won't let any of us soon forget the courageous conviction of this servant of the Cross.

Either way, it's despicable.  Saundra's previous post about the religious convictions of candidates said much of what I would, but for now I just want to add that Bouma's conduct -- UNLESS HE HONESTLY, IMMEDIATELY, PERSONALLY, AND PUBLICLY CONDEMNS THIS AND THE RANTINGS OF HIS PASTOR -- is not that of a prophetically-inspired martyr, not a model of Christian humility and servitude, not heroic to anyone other than the worst fringe of a lamentable strain of Christendom, and not anything with which Christ would align himself.  I'm not going to join into the "who's really a Christian, who's not" shoutfest, because my own discipleship is my primary concern, but I feel pretty damned confident in suggesting that shouting vile, disgusting things in the name of God is confirmation that God is not at all involved in the heart, mind, and soul of the shouter.

The wound to the Gospel from this is incalculable.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com