[Vision2020] My Response to Bouma's Non-Answer

nickgier at roadrunner.com nickgier at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 16 08:34:28 PDT 2010

To the Editors of the Daily News and the Lewiston Tribune:

In an AARP candidates forum on October 15, I asked state senate candidate Gresham Bouma about comments made by his pastor Lloyd Knerr on the LDS religion. In a sermon on August 29 Knerr ridiculed Mormon beliefs and called them "blasphemy and heresy" (www.freezechurch.org/page48.html).

I asked Bouma if these were his beliefs, and if they were not, would he repudiate his pastor.  Bouma answered that my question was a personal attack and that I was using religion to sow division among the candidates.  He then refused to answer my question. View the exchange at www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOAD-f7zQDs

The only personal attack was that coming from Bouma's minister against some of Latah County's most solid citizens.  Furthermore, it is right-wing Christians in our community who presumed to play God and decide who are the true Christians among us.  They are the ones who have attempted to divide us according to our beliefs.

Incredibly enough, Mr. Bouma suggested that my problem could be solved by having a debate with his minister. I have no desire to debate (let alone meet) a person who has so little respect for other people’s beliefs.

Candidate Obama waited far too long to break with his minister’s extreme views.  Is candidate Bouma going to make the same mistake?

Nick Gier, Moscow