[Vision2020] Climate Science: Introduction to Feedbacks: 150 Responses "...exactly the right level for interested laymen."

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 21:32:39 PDT 2010

I've had  a few life issues get in the way, but I'll respond to this
quickly.  If you want me to show my work, I can do so.  The IPCC reports
provide equations for estimating the radiative forcing for CO2.  Change
in temperature for an increase in CO2 can be stated as the degree change
in temperature equals the radiative forcing in Wm^-2 multiplied by a
constant that is referred to as "climate sensitivity".  In equation form
it's: dT = lambda * RF

Given a starting and ending CO2 value in parts/million, using the
equations given by the IPCC, you can determine the radiative forcing for
any increase in CO2 particulate count.  (RF = 5.35 * ln (C / C0) is the
simplest one).  Doing this, I get a value of 3.708 W/m^2.  This agrees
with the IPCC values that I've seen lately.

That just leaves the sensitivity value (lambda).  I've seen various
values used based on guesses about feedbacks (0.8 is common).  But you
can calculate it yourself.  You look at the temperature and CO2 ppm for
pre-industrial times (280ppm and 13.6C) and the temperature and CO2 ppm
today (385ppm and 14.5C) and you can calculate both the change in
temperature and the radiative forcing for those values and can compute
lambda based on those values.  I did this and got a value of 1.516.
Multiplying the lambda value and the radiative forcing found earlier you
can calculate the expected temperature increase from pre-industrial
times to a doubling of CO2.  I get approximately 2.2C.  But this is the
increase from pre-industrial times, so if you subtract the temperature
increase we've already seen (0.9C) you get a value of 1.3C.  This is
slightly higher than the 1.2C I've seen referred to elsewhere, perhaps
if I'd used one of the other equations provided by the IPCC (they had
four or five choices) I'd get that value.

This is usually just under the low end of the expected temperature
increases given by the IPCC, because all of the climate models assume
positive feedbacks will come into play and increase this number anywhere
from 1.5C to 6.5C or more.

Paul