[Vision2020] Rep. Hart Logged State Land for Home

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 17:17:07 PDT 2010

"Earth First: We'll Log the Other Planets Later" as the bumper sticker
mocking the environmental group "Earth First" and environmentalist "tree
huggers" in general, phrases it... "Wilderness: Land of No Use" is another
gem...

And a mere 20 light years away, the first potentially habitable planet has
been discovered.  Those save the planet extremists should stop worrying...
What's a mere 20 light years?  Humanity can just build star ships and
move if we ruin the Earth!

NASA and NSF-Funded Research
Finds First Potentially Habitable Exoplanet

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/gliese_581_feature.html

A team of planet hunters from the University of California (UC) Santa Cruz,
and the Carnegie Institution of Washington has announced the discovery of a
planet with three times the mass of Earth orbiting a nearby star at a
distance that places it squarely in the middle of the star's "habitable
zone."

This discovery was the result of more than a decade of observations using
the W. M. Keck Observatory in Hawaii, one of the world's largest optical
telescopes. The research, sponsored by NASA and the National Science
Foundation, placed the planet in an area where liquid water could exist on
the planet's surface. If confirmed, this would be the most Earth-like
exoplanet yet discovered and the first strong case for a potentially
habitable one.

To astronomers, a "potentially habitable" planet is one that could sustain
life, not necessarily one where humans would thrive. Habitability depends on
many factors, but having liquid water and an atmosphere are among the most
important.

The new findings are based on 11 years of observations of the nearby red
dwarf star Gliese 581using the HIRES spectrometer on the Keck I Telescope.
The spectrometer allows precise measurements of a star's radial velocity
(its motion along the line of sight from Earth), which can reveal the
presence of planets. The gravitational tug of an orbiting planet causes
periodic changes in the radial velocity of the host star. Multiple planets
induce complex wobbles in the star's motion, and astronomers use
sophisticated analyses to detect planets and determine their orbits and
masses.

"Keck's long-term observations of the wobble of nearby stars enabled the
detection of this multi-planetary system," said Mario R. Perez, Keck program
scientist at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "Keck is once again proving
itself an amazing tool for scientific research."

Steven Vogt, professor of astronomy and astrophysics at UC Santa Cruz, and
Paul Butler of the Carnegie Institution lead the Lick-Carnegie Exoplanet
Survey. The team's new findings are reported in a paper published in the
Astrophysical Journal and posted online at: http://arxiv.org

"Our findings offer a very compelling case for a potentially habitable
planet," said Vogt. "The fact that we were able to detect this planet so
quickly and so nearby tells us that planets like this must be really
common."

The paper reports the discovery of two new planets around Gliese 581. This
brings the total number of known planets around this star to six, the most
yet discovered in a planetary system outside of our own. Like our solar
system, the planets around Gliese 581 have nearly-circular orbits.

The new planet designated Gliese 581g has a mass three to four times that of
Earth and orbits its star in just under 37 days. Its mass indicates that it
is probably a rocky planet with a definite surface and enough gravity to
hold on to an atmosphere.
Gliese 581, located 20 light years away from Earth in the constellation
Libra, has two previously detected planets that lie at the edges of the
habitable zone, one on the hot side (planet c) and one on the cold side
(planet d). While some astronomers still think planet d may be habitable if
it has a thick atmosphere with a strong greenhouse effect to warm it up,
others are skeptical. The newly-discovered planet g, however, lies right in
the middle of the habitable zone.

The planet is tidally locked to the star, meaning that one side is always
facing the star and basking in perpetual daylight, while the side facing
away from the star is in perpetual darkness. One effect of this is to
stabilize the planet's surface climates, according to Vogt. The most
habitable zone on the planet's surface would be the line between shadow and
light (known as the "terminator").
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett