[Vision2020] Fwd: Re: Additional Shipments Planned on Highway 12

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 8 14:46:54 PDT 2010

That's the point I'm trying to make, though.  If they did break it up into 3600
loads, they wouldn't need a permit, or a bond.  There are no rules I know of
stopping them from sending 3600 truckloads or more over the highway if they
aren't exceptional loads.  They would be using much more gas, to boot.  So if
they give up on the megaload idea over Idaho roads, do you think they'll just
give up and not process all those tar sands?

I understand the concerns about emergency vehicles and the disruption to normal
traffic and the wear and tear on the roads.  But if the idea is to stop the tar
sands production, then this is not the way to go about it.  Breaking the loads
up would solve the disruption to traffic problems, but would increase the normal
traffic on the highway.  I know of no way of stopping that on a public road.

Paul