[Vision2020] Health Education: A Conspiracy? A bit off the subject now though

Gier, Nicholas NGIER at uidaho.edu
Fri Nov 26 16:11:41 PST 2010

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your post and all the others who posted on this thread. Let me correct, once again (I've done this on the Vision previously), that I did not direct Doug Wilson's MA thesis.  We wisely agreed that someone else should be chair and that I would not even be a member of his committee.

In light of your comments about freedom of the will, it is significant to note that was Wilson's topic.  In the early days he defended free-will but now that he is a "crawling-across-cut glass" Calvinist he no longer believes in it.

By the way, check out the New St. Andrews website and the first item about "I'll meet you in the alley."  This is muscular Christianity in the extreme.  Did they expect this to appeal to young women recruits?  I guess that the message for them is that at NSA they will meet "real" Christian men.

Ken: I'm happy to inform you that the UI philosophy department has saved itself by turning to applied philosophy.  We had one of the few hires this year and we are now searching for a person in environmental philosophy.  Sadly, both positions are not tenure-track but renewable appointments.

Tenure is slowly disappearing at the nation's universities and our dominant position in cutting edge research will be lost. Recent literature has emphasized that fact that one of the reasons for U.S. dominance in the 20th Century was publicly funded research at land-grant universities by tenured or tenure-track professors.

Nick

Nicholas F. Gier, Professor Emeritus
Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho