[Vision2020] Health Education: A Conspiracy? A bit off the subject now though

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Fri Nov 26 12:28:33 PST 2010

On Friday 26 November 2010 07:31:18 Joe Campbell wrote:
> <[snip]> ... but likely in the near future the MA program will be cut and
> I'll have undergraduate "readers" instead. <[snip]>

Even if the MA in Philosophy is shelved until better economic times return, I
wonder whether there may be opportunity for applied philosophy efforts to keep
the Philosophy Department reasonably intact. For example, undergraduate and
graduate courses in business ethics for the business curricula, economic
philosophy for the economics programs, and political philosophy for the
political science and public administration programs. These traditional areas
could (continue to) be augmented with environmental philosophy, and a newer
look at educational philosophy.

On the latter topic I wonder whether we ought not examine the plebeian
assumption that personal educational responsibility to society ends when one
is able to drop out of high school, and that personal efforts beyond that are
optional. Perhaps a better notion is that there exists some basic minimum of
expected educational achievement and ongoing competence that should be
expected of all adult citizens throughout their lives. As the decades roll by,
the contents of that minimum may change, and with those changes, citizens are
then obligated to meet those new standards, preferably, perhaps, with at least
some minimal assistance to do so. For discussion purposes, I take the minimum
standard to be the current requirements for public high school graduation.

> Also, I think it is a mistake to think that a lack of logic or critical
> thinking skills is at fault. My own view is that the fault lies with the
> increase in private education and isolationism

While it may be the case that pedagogical pandering to bygone ages of frontier
foraging and farming may attempt to evoke rugged individualism and libertarian
license, observation of contemporary circumstances suggests explanations that
require less conscious and coordinated effort to attain the status quo. Simple
inertia against continuing personal educational work, lethargy and laziness,
combined with  mindsets disinclined toward ideas and theory, and wanting to
get on with the practical realities of life, keep the majority away from not
only post-secondary education but from revisiting or reviewing what they
should have learned, and should still remember, from their high school years.

> but my guess is that most
> private schools teach as much or more logic and critical thinking as they
> do in public schools. Logic is analogous to computer hardware; even the
> best is only as good as the input. As they say, "garbage in, garbage out"
> but also quality in, quality out. What counts as garbage and what counts
> as quality? That's where things get tricky.

Well, sure. Must we require a two-value, forced-choice, true-false logic, or
may we consider other logics without their middles excluded? Some sets of
circumstances suggest that maybe or neither or don't know to be more
appropriate answers than true or false.

And, heretical as it may be to the core of Western logic, I wonder whether
logic and its interactions through various linguistic pathways within the
brains resident in various cultures may not have variations that are functions
of the cultures within which it resides. Different logics in different cultures,
however slight may be the differences, may result in different conclusions that,
unexamined, lurk near the cores of some of our more intractable international
discussions.

> What counts as evidence? What
> counts as sound reasoning? Some answers are easy: empirical findings,
> classical logic, and mathematics. But that alone won't get you far.
> Unfortunately, after that point we start doing philosophy, where
> reasonable disagreement is par for the course. If the answers were easy,
> we'd all agree. But we don't, so they're not.

Not only are unresolved philosophical questions problematical, but so are the
continually troubled communications, or lack thereof, between C.P. Snow's two
cultures, the scientists and the aesthetes, the left and the right brained.

Newton demonstrated that effort is necessary to overcome inertia, and that
effort is what is required to get some of us out of the bag of chips, off the
couch, and into more active, energetic, and educationally accomplishing lives.

Ken