[Vision2020] MPD Press Release

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Tue Nov 16 13:36:19 PST 2010

MOSCOW POLICE DEPARTMENT
118 East 4th Street
Moscow, Idaho 83843
Tel: 208-882-COPS    Fax: 208-882-4020

PRESS RELEASE

The Moscow Police Department, in conjunction with agencies throughout the state, are focusing their efforts to stop impaired drivers. Impaired drivers represent a risk to everyone on Idaho roadways. The goal of the DUI emphasis patrols are to have zero traffic fatalities on Idaho roadways.

The purpose of this project is to support the statewide highway safety goal of reducing motor vehicle related deaths and serious injuries as a result of impaired drivers. We hope to discourage impaired driving behaviors by increasing law enforcement presence and focusing our efforts on detecting and apprehending impaired drivers.

The results of drinking and driving are often tragic. Please consider the risks to yourself, your loved ones, and to other motorists.

There are several statistics to consider in reference to our "Zero Deaths" goal:
-In 2009, there were 12,327 DUI arrests in Idaho.
-In 2009, impaired driving was a factor in 29% of all Idaho traffic fatalities.
-In 2009, 77% of those killed in traffic collisions were not restrained.
(According to the Idaho Transportation Department)

The DUI emphasis patrol begins on 11-19-10 and goes through 11-30-10.

Please buckle up, drive sober, and have a safe Thanksgiving Holiday.