[Vision2020] Sarah Palin's Alaska Premiere (videos)

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 15:56:56 PST 2010

Clarification from the Krugman blog:

November 14, 2010, 12:40 pm
Death Panels and Sales Taxes
I said something deliberately provocative  on This Week, so I think I’d better
clarify what I meant (which I did on  the show, but it can’t hurt to say it
again.)
So, what I said is that the eventual resolution of the deficit  problem both
will and should rely on “death panels and sales taxes”.  What I meant is that
(a) health care costs will have to be controlled, which will surely  require
having Medicare and Medicaid decide what they’re willing to pay  for — not
really death panels, of course, but consideration of medical  effectiveness and,
at some point, how much we’re willing to spend for  extreme care
(b) we’ll need more revenue — several percent of GDP — which might most
plausibly come from a value-added tax
And if we do those two things, we’re most of the way toward a sustainable
budget.
By the way, I’ve said this before.
Now, you may declare that this is politically impossible. But medical  costs
must be controlled somehow, or nothing works. And is a modest VAT  really so
much more implausible than ending the mortgage interest  deduction?
So that’s my plan. And I believe that some day — maybe in the first Chelsea
Clinton administration — it will actually
Several economists have pointed out that if our medical expenditures per capita
were the same as other advanced industrialized countries (all of which have
better health outcomes, on the whole), we'd be running surpluses. But, wasteful
health care spending is someone's income, all of whom have influential
legislators and lobbyists behind them.

 Ron Force
Moscow Idaho USA