[Vision2020] A day of both bad and good

Bev Bafus bevbafus at frontier.com
Sun Nov 14 13:10:36 PST 2010

Yesterday, I went out to Sojourners' Alliance Troy Food Bank and Thrift
Store to meet the Boy Scouts, and receive the food they had gathered.

On arriving at the Food Bank, I discovered that the building had been broken
into, and the money was stolen from the Thift Store.  In addition, (and this
makes me the maddest) several of the coats that had been donated to "Coats
for Kids" had been stolen.

Instead of spending a couple of hours sorting food, I spent time with the
Latah Sheriff's Department, and spent time figuring out what else had been
stolen.

The staff and I felt very violated when we realized that a set of keys to
the store had also been stolen.

Luckily, the good far outweighed the bad yesterday.  One phone call to Gary
Crabtree of the Lock Shop, and he was out, re-keyed our locks, and didn't
charge a dime.

The Boy Scouts brought in 1,000 pounds of food.

One of the teachers at Troy High School brought nearly 100 pounds of food
the school had gathered.

Customers of the store that day, when told what had happened, and why we
didn't have change, almost unanimously said to keep the change.

And people have already offered to replace the coats.

So whoever the moron is who decided that they needed to steal from the
hungry and homeless - you are far outnumbered by good people in Latah
County.

Bev Bafus