[Vision2020] Alaska vote count

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Thu Nov 11 03:43:34 PST 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 10:20:21 Andreas Schou wrote:
> Let me clarify. Alaska's law (actually, SecState regulation, not law)
> notwithstanding, you think it's Constitutionally permissible to refuse
> to count a vote over a misplaced 'u' when the voter intent is
> otherwise clear?

The answer to your question should be no, but on what a court might decide I
won't speculate. One does wonder, though, how far one might acceptably wander
with alternative spellings. For example, if one writes Murkowsi with the
International Phonetic Alphabet for American English as

mɜːʳcaʊsciː

(highlight, then change font to Lucida Sans Unicode, Arial, or Times New Roman
if you can't see the correct symbols)

is that an acceptable spelling? Even though the phonetic spelling may conform
exactly to an international pronunciation standard, requiring a particular
idiomatic, familial, spelling seems churlishly, and in the case of election
return counting, greedily, restrictive.

Aside from Murkowski's name, is a phonetic spelling of a word acceptable as an
individual's intent in a legal document, say, a contract, for example?

By the way, http://ipa.typeit.org/ with Flash, is a handy page to bookmark.

Ken