[Vision2020] discharging firearms

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Nov 7 09:36:46 PST 2010

Gary writes:

"If you would like to impress me as knowing what you are talking about, give some indication of wide spread illegal hunting activity using full auto weaponry. Newspaper articles, Fish and Game case numbers, county sheriffs dept. reports, etc. Without, I'm inclined to think that your assertions are without merit."

1.    Why don't we ask your suggested sources how many people violate speeding laws, fail to stop at stop signs, or use marijuana?  How accurate do you think their guesses would be based on the number of citations they issue?

In the last 20 years I have hiked on Moscow Mountain alone over 40,000 miles in all seasons.  I have never once seen a game warden on any of these hikes. In the ,last few months I reported a poached moose on a paved sideroad about 1/4 mile from our house.  It took F&G about 2 weeks to respond.  Useless.  Since then at least 2 more moose have been poached on the mountain with 3 or 4 miles of our house.  F&G?  Clueless!  And how could F&G tell if an individual hunter hasn't modified his semi-automatic weapon to make it fully automatic?  It appears to be a simple thing to do, especially since kits to do so are in widely available.

And the current LCSD?  They can't even handle loose, marauding dog complaints in our neighborhood, losing paperwork and failing to serve signed citations.

As to automatic weapons, I've posted before.  They are heard at intervals in many parts of Latah and Benewah County, more often between September 1st and December 31st.

When it comes to what goes on in the woods, I have much more confidence in the words the hunters, loggers, hikers, bicyclists, and my own senses than any of your revered, mostly absent sources.

2.    But you may be on to something.  Maybe there needs to be a refugee camp set up, if a large enough tract of land could be found, to handle all the people who are devastated and their lives ruined by their failure of your not finding merit their assertions.

Maybe you should get out more in general to talk and to attentively listen to people that do not necessarily agree with your opinions.  Maybe you should get out in the woods more.  In that respect, here's a helpful hint to aid your discovery processes for the next few weeks if you go into the woods: wear medium brown pants and a brown leather jacket and slink about in the brush.

w.