[Vision2020] Rights to kill

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 08:12:05 PDT 2010

This is similar to a thought experiment by Judith Jarvis Thompson. The
difference is, in her example, the hook up was done against the
woman's will (thereby being analogous to the case of rape). Does that
change the situation? Add too that the issue has to do with individual
rights. Unless we can be certain that every case of rape is prosecuted
it is not clear how the rights of women can be protected unless
abortions are unrestricted. Personally, given my Catholic
sensibilities, I find this unfortunate since it allows for abuse. But
I'm not sure how to make things better, all things considered. Nor is
it clear what my Catholic sensibilities have to do with the rights of
Jews, atheists, etc.

That's my view!