[Vision2020] Political Robocalls

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Sat May 22 16:09:16 PDT 2010

Love 'em or hate 'em?

Typically, I hate them and have thought they should be subject to the same
FCC regulations as other robocalls.

However, my opinion may be changing because political robocalls can help us
all to understand the how many lunatic wingnuts are running in the
Republican primary  :-)

While I had considered voting Republican to support a GOP candidate or two I
think pretty highly of, these GOP robocalls have convinced me I'd rather be
dead than be even remotely identified with some of the GOP freaks running.

Word of wisdom to the GOP:  while political robocalls aren't bound by all
the TCPA requirements, they are still bound by the following according to
all the resources I checked:
"All artificial or prerecorded telephone messages must state, at the
beginning, the identity of the business, individual, or other entity that is
responsible for initiating the call. If a business is responsible for
initiating the call, the name under which the entity is registered to
conduct business with the State Corporation Commission (or comparable
regulatory authority) must be stated. During or after the message, the
caller must give the telephone number (other than that of the autodialer or
prerecorded message player that placed the call) of the business, other
entity, or individual that made the call so that you can call during regular
business hours to ask that the company no longer call you. The number
provided may not be a 900 number or any other number for which charges
exceed local or long distance charges."

That doesn't include "Hi, this is George," and certainly the moron Walt
Bayes' (running for governor, no less) robocalls with absolutely no contact
information are a blatant violation of TCPA.  Any candidate who doesn't have
the IQ to understand the regulations regarding making political robocalls
certainly shouldn't be elected to office.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****