[Vision2020] Global Climate Change Responses - A Proposal

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Sat May 15 10:28:37 PDT 2010

Paul,

I don't think you're immoral for questioning this issue.  That's probably a good thing.

People will be screwed either way as we're now dependent on the very thing that's undermining our future. So you're right that we need to try to minimize that and not blunder it.

I'm sure people will take advantage of reforms and are probably rigging the system in their favor.  That's exactly why we're in the mess we're in: people generally are more concerned about their well-being then the overall "greater good."

I'm just as immoral and hypocritical as you are in any case. I'm a product of our society and use more than most people ever have (though I try to be aware of what affects my actions have)  I haven't completely given up what is probably a high standard of living compared to most people.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect and can do more.

The fact that I'm a product and feel guilty about it makes me crave alternatives that have less impact. I'm not satisfied with the status quo and feel if enough people understand this we can reduce our impact while still having a high quality of life historically speaking.

But we don't have an unlimited amount of time.

I agree issues are grey, but there are "sides" to any issue.

I think it's ok to point out the folly of a particular side.  Whether that's demonization I suppose depends on how that comes across.

There is a side that doesn't think burning fossil fuels is bad.  They think it's good.  Why else would God provide this substance if we weren't supposed to use it.

They think this whole thing is a conspiracy to undermine capatilism and won't trust the science or political ramifications of changing the status quo.

If they had there way, we'd be drilling anywhere there's fossil fuel.

On the other side you have people like me are very sensitive to ecosystem destruction.  Perhaps we're bleeding hearts, but it breaks my heart knowing what we're doing to this planet.

Humans are smart enough to develop technology but not smart enough to use it wisely. We're turning this "Garden of Eden" in to "Hell" as quickly as we can.

If that isn't evil, not much is.  That is the underliying morality of it for me.

We are an out of control animal fouling our own nest (or our neighbors nest as is the case for most Americans)

So I Iook at the "drill, baby, drill" crowd and see arrogant fools.  It seems that even tragedies like what's happening in the Gulf are no big deal. They're probably upset that more regulations will hopefully be put in place to prevent things like this from happening as they see that as an overbearing government.

I don't like partisenship probably as much as you but that's the world we're living in. Maybe most people are not on any particular side.  It could be that complacency and apathy are the root of this evil. But there are enough powerful people on the "other side" who are thwarting any meaningful reform.

Environmental destruction is something each of us needs to take responsiblilty for.  Government can produce policy, but it's really up to you and me to do what we both feel needs to be done: reduce our personal impact as much as we can.

Good luck!

Garrett