[Vision2020] Global Climate Change Responses - A Proposal

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Fri May 14 10:06:03 PDT 2010

Paul writes:

"I don't like the idea of taking drastic measures at this stage when (in my view) the consequences of our actions are still up in the air."

Drastic measures like starting wars for oil?

Or drilling 5000 feet below the ocean's surface resulting in milliions of gallons of oil destroying the Gulf?

Or how about sending poor miners into the earth to dig for coal, exposing them to deadly dust and mine accidents?

Or how about all the smog we now breath due to combustion of fossil fuel?

I would say anytime people have to die to get our energy or we risk destroying ecosystems to get it, that is a drastic measure.

My grandpa was a coal miner.  He died of black lung. He's only one of thousands.

The Gulf spill is just one of many that have polluted and destroyed people's livlihood.

These are very real consequences, Paul. Whether buning fossil fuel is causing climate change shouldn't matter when there are so many other good reasons to limit our consumption of this addictive and deadly substance.

Do you really think we need to be using so much of it? Don't you think all these other problems are concerning and worth addressing?

Fear plays on both sides of the debate.  Paul's side has it (fear of destroying our lifestyle if fossil fuel use is curtailed (and fear of losing money)) plus they've got billions of dollars to feed their propaganda machine to try to convince us that burning fossil fuels is ok, just as good as drinking God's juice.

Our side has fear of destroying our childrens future just to keep fueling SUV's and making cheap crap.

It's pretty clear to me which side is the moral one.

Which side are you on?

Garrett