[Vision2020] Say What?

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Thu May 13 09:34:00 PDT 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010 05:37:52 Tom Hansen wrote:
> "We cannot afford to have another sexually abnormal individual in a
> position of important civic responsibility . . . Social
> conservatives must rise up as one and say no lesbian is qualified
> to sit on the Supreme Court."
>
> - Bryan Fischer of the American Family Association, on Elena Kagan
> nomination
>
> http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/fischer-no-lesbian-qualified-
>sit-supreme-court

Apparently Mr. Fischer isn't paying much attention to the real world
while he engages in his fantasy life.

"Debuting June 11, 2002, as American Idol: The Search for a Superstar
on the Fox network, the show has since become one of the most popular
in the history of American television. It is currently the #1 program
in the Nielsen ratings and is one of only three that have been #1 for
five consecutive seasons, along with All in the Family and The Cosby
Show." ... "Grammy award-winning pop singer and Emmy award-winning
choreographer Paula Abdul was a judge for the show's first eight
seasons." ... "On September 9, 2009, Emmy award-winning talk show
host Ellen DeGeneres was confirmed to be Abdul's replacement for the
ninth season." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol

That to which Mr. Fischer apparently is not paying attention is the
fact that Americans are affording themselves at the judging table of
one of the most popular television shows an openly lesbian woman
judge. More Americans, and a wider variety of Americans, pay more
attention to American Idol than pay attention to the Supreme Court,
and it may well be the case that the addition of Ms. DeGeneres will
increase the program's viewership rather than cause people to turn
away. Certainly those who chose Ms. DeGeneres to sit in the American
Idol judge's chair knew more about her personal life than Senators
know about SCOTUS-nominee Kagan's, and it may well be suggested that
those who chose Ms. DeGeneres knew more about for what the American
people are ready than does Mr. Fischer.

Ken