[Vision2020] Noble Found Not Guilty Due to Temporary Insanity

Carl Westberg idahovandal1 at live.com
Thu May 6 09:02:13 PDT 2010

None of us are experts on the subject of mental illness.  Even the "experts" on mental illness are not experts.  Not all that long ago, it was a social stigma to have been diagnosed with mental illness.  "Snap out of it", "Keep a stiff upper lip", or just "Knock it off and act normal" were the common reactions.  Thankfully, it is more and more acknowledged as a true medical condition. I say thankfully because I have had all too personal an experience with it. As to falling into mental illness and not being aware of it while it's happening, I would hazard the guess that it is more than possible.  Is the temporary insanity plea abused in some legal cases?  Probably.  Was it in this case?  I have no idea.  When you're sent home after a colonoscopy, you are told to stay home and avoid making serious decisions that day.  It is stressed that you may be in a position of making poor judgments and not even be aware that you are doing so.  Again, it's only a layman's guess, but it could be very possible the same is true with certain mental illnesses.  We don't know what we don't know.