[Vision2020] Noble Found Not Guilty Due to Temporary Insanity

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Wed May 5 18:22:12 PDT 2010

Art --

So, what your'e saying is that someone with a heretofore undetected
mental condition severe enough that he can't understand what's going
on in an interaction with the police, can, regardless, be expected to
understand what's going on with that condition and seek help. Dan
Noble's problem was sufficiently severe that he got in two sequential
car accidents he wasn't aware of, got arrested, and then tried to
wander away in the middle of a court hearing. There's no indication he
understood a single thing about the world around him.

Sure, his family should have noticed he was having a psychotic break.
But -- you know what? Two things: first, the mentally ill aren't
substantially more likely to commit acts of violence than other
people. Second, it's surprisingly easy to rationalize the behavior of
people you love who are going out of their mind. Without going into
detail: I've failed to do so. I rationalized a loved one's
increasingly bizarre behavior as being within the realm of normalcy,
and I supposedly have some kind of knowledge on the subject.

It's not easy. And if you think *this* is an abuse, I can't imagine
what you'd think would be non-abusive.

-- ACS