[Vision2020] (Vision 2020) Say What?????

Ron Force rforce2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 17:09:20 PDT 2010

With all due consideration to the justifiable outrage, we really don't know the circumstances of the crime, as the perpetrator was the only witness. A defense attorney could argue that her death was the result of a domestic argument, her killing was in a moment of rage (second degree),  and his subsequent actions were done in a panic.  The minimum penalty for second degree homicide is less than the maximum for voluntary manslaughter:

From the Idaho Code on Criminal Penalties:

  1.  Voluntary--by a fine of not more than fifteen thousand dollars
($15,000), or by a sentence to the custody of the state board of correction
not exceeding fifteen (15) years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.If a jury, or
the court if a jury is waived, does not find a statutory aggravating
circumstance beyond a reasonable doubt or if the death penalty is not sought,
the court shall impose a life sentence with a minimum period of confinement of
not less than ten (10) years during which period of confinement the offender
shall not be eligible for parole or discharge or credit or reduction of
sentence for good conduct, except for meritorious service. Every person guilty
of murder of the second degree is punishable by imprisonment not less than ten
(10) years and the imprisonment may extend to life.

By adding the maximum sentences for the lesser crimes, he may serve more time than if convicted of first degree murder.

The prosecutor has to balance the likely outcome of a trial with the cost to the county's budget.  If he can get a plea that imposes an equivalent punishment without the cost of a trial, he may think it a desirable outcome.
Murder trials are expensive, and the Idaho public, while desirous of harsh justice, does not seem to wish to tax themselves in a manner to achieve it.

Ron Force
Moscow, ID USA