[Vision2020] A Call for Justice

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 30 12:59:11 PDT 2010

Once again I'm put in a position where I have to side with people I frankly think are evil and are lacking even a smidgen of tact or good sense.  What it comes down to is this: either freedom of speech means something or it doesn't.  If you start looking at the message and basing your decisions on that, then it's no longer free speech.  You've just thrown that concept out of the window.

Freedom of speech is a double-edged sword, there's no doubt about it.  If you want the ability to complain about your taxes or to express your opinion on politics in public, or to describe an act of police brutality without being beaten yourself, then you have to allow these twits to call your dead son a fag in public at his funeral.

I don't blame this guy for doing what he's done.  I may have done the same in his shoes.  In the end, though, I'm glad he lost his case.

Now, forcing him to pay those sons of bitches court costs is another story altogether.

I'd also like to say that Fred Phelps and his friends wouldn't have done this if they didn't think God told them to in the form of a holy book that allegedly claims that homosexuals are an abomination.  If you take the position that what these guys said crosses some imaginary line, then you have to look at the Bible in the same light.

It's better by far to be extremely strict in where the lines are drawn, i.e. yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

Paul