[Vision2020] From Tom Trail: Analysis and Rationale for Thursday's Call for Special Session

Bill London london at moscow.com
Wed Mar 24 16:46:15 PDT 2010

Finally, a real solution for Idaho's funding dilemma.  Is there actually hope that Idaho will not decimate its educational system?  BL

-----------------------
>From Representative Tom Trail....

Bob Huntley and I are going to have a press conference tomorrow at 5:00 pm
On the third floor of the Rotunda.   The focus will be to ask Governor Otter to call

A Special Session to address the funding needs of k12, higher education, and other

Other state services.

We have a major tax reform proposal that offers a possible solution.   The proposal

Would broaden the tax base by taxing services and eliminating certain exemptions.

Overall we could lower the sales tax from 6% to 5% and still net almost $200 million

Net for the State's General Budget.    The details are spelled out in the attachments.

We feel that we have arrived at the crossroads in terms of supporting education which

Is the driving force to our economic engine in the state.    We could play it "cool" and

Not do anything until the start of the next legislative session.    But we feel that we have reached the

Crossroads and  the desperate need is here and now.    We are offering a reasonable proposal

That would provide a much more equitable tax base (and help low income families) and

Yet provide a substantial amount of funding for our public school system,  Higher Education,

And other essential state programs.

The IEA, Labor Unions, concerned citizens, and legislators will be joining us at the

Press conference.    You are invited to join us.

Rep. Tom Trail