[Vision2020] Health care {insurance} reform passed

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:22:12 PDT 2010

Donovan --

I just took a look at those numbers again (they didn't look right) and found
that I made a mistake in my back-of-the-envelope corrections.

At a 3% rate of inflation, the family of two you described comes out over
the 133%-of-poverty threshold, making her (based on her unmodified gross
income) ineligible for Medicaid. Interestingly, she makes $184 dollars over
the poorest possible individual that might have have to pay for insurance.
This indicates that whomever you're relying on for your numbers invented her
as the poorest possible person to have to pay for health care, receiving the
lowest possible subsidy.

Unfortunately, however, while the health care bill eliminates certain
exemptions for modified gross income (like child-care) for eligibility
purposes, it includes an unconditional exemption equal to 5% of the poverty
line, or a little over $750 in 2014 dollars. Consequently, she just barely
scrapes under the wire for eligibility, and can receive Medicaid, which
exempts her from the mandate.

-- ACS

*
http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2010/03/19/the-health-care-reform-reconciliation-bill/