[Vision2020] Health care {insurance} reform passed

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 10:32:45 PDT 2010

I hate to defend this governor, but he is correct in launching a lawsuit against the federal government for three major reasons;

1) It will bankrupt many individuals buy forcing them to buy health insurance.

This law says that a single mom, in Idaho making $12 an hour 35 hours a week, makes about $22,000 a year is required to pay an insurance premium of $300 a month, for her and her son, a 20% co pay, with a $6000 deductable, or face a $750 fine.

That is just crap! Unfair and I would like to see one person who supports this federal mandate to purchase health insurance on how this is not going to be a major burden on her and her child?

2) Expansion of Federal Powers over that over the States

I don't know about you, but I am uncomfortable with the Federal Government being able to mandate that I purchase a product of service from a company or organization.

Sure, you might be fine with it being something you think you want, from a president you like. But what if the next President is another Bush and he mandates you buy something you don't want? Something, maybe that you disagree with. Don't think it could happen? You should, if the power is established here, on this issue, it can be expanded to include other things you are opposed to.

3) Constitutionality

There is a significant question here as to if this bill is even constitutional. If Congress or the President decides to do something that may be unconstitutionally, it should not just be ignored for the sake of expediency and convenience. I'm not saying one way or another if it is or isn't, I am not an expert obviously. But brushing aside the Constitution because this is something we want isn't good enough.

I don't think the Federal Government has the right to force people to purchase items from private entities and police that they do. I think the Federal Government only has the right to tax and fine people for committing acts that are crimes against the federal government, not acts against the individual states, the state decides and enforces that.

I ask my progressive friends, why not just tax people and provide them the service of health care as an option? Isn't that a much simpler route for getting people health care? If we provide ourselves already with roads, mail service, schools, military, police, fire, and food, doesn’t it also follow that we provide ourselves with health care? Isn’t that a natural progression of most advanced civilizations? Doesn’t not having your health make all the other services a moot point, anyway?