[Vision2020] On the origin of Aryan

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 23:18:03 PDT 2010

http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/faculty/wong/bot135/lect20a.htm

A few quotes from website above:

"*Amanita muscaria* or the Fly Agaric is not a well-known mushroom based on
its scientific name or common name. Yet, the picture on the left, of this
mushroom, will probably be familiar to the reader. In recent time, it is the
mushroom that has been adopted as the “prototype” mushroom in western
cultures. Its image can be seen in
Christmas<http://www.jamesarthur.net/mm_01.html>and greeting
cards <http://www.jamesarthur.net/img/cntnt/image007.gif>, children's
stories<http://www.bedtime-story.com/bedtime-story/alice-hudson-caterpillar.jpg>,
science fiction and fantasy illustrations, and in mushroom
models<http://www.themeparkinsider.com/art/parks/40.jpg>.
There has even been a great deal made of its connections with
Christmas<http://www.jamesarthur.net/mm_01.html>,
but probably too much has been made of this connection and different
interpretations of this theory is
available<http://www.washedashore.com/rants/xmas/>.
However, it is more than just a “pretty mushroom”.   It is a species that is
thought to have had tremendous impact on some of today’s cultures for at
least four thousand years and has been thought by some to be at the root of
the origin of some of today’s religions.  In 1968, Gordon Wasson put forth
the concept that this mushroom was the “plant” that was referred to as *Soma
*, in his now much cited “Soma, Divine Mushroom of Immortality”. Wasson
believed Soma was the mushroom that was utilized in religious ceremonies,
over 4000 years ago, before the beginning of our Christian era, by the
people who called themselves “*Aryans*”. "
----------
"The Aryans were a warrior and grain-growing people. They had a tribal
religion with a hereditary priesthood, with a full compliment of gods,
including Soma. Their homeland was somewhere in Central Asia. Approximately
4000 years ago, they split into three distinct groups. Two of these were the
Indic and Iranian. The Indics settled into what is now Afghanistan and the
Valley of the Indus. The other group settled in what is now Iran and became
the Iranian People. Both groups, orally, passed on their religious
knowledge, which was later written down and has been preserved to the
present.  Specifically, these religious works are the Rig Veda and the *
Avesta*, of the Indian Hindus and Iranian *Zorasters*, respectively. In both
religions there is reference to a plant, which is believed to have
hallucinogenic properties and was used in religious ceremonies. The Plant
was referred to as Soma in the Rig Veda and *Haoma* in the Avesta."
Perhaps Nick Gier will correct or expand on these issues, as I know very
well that Gier has explored this subject in depth, and has definite views on
the truth or falsehood of the thesis of "Soma: Divine Mushroom of
Immortality" by R. Gordon Wasson.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett