[Vision2020] Co-op cooking classes

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Mar 21 16:22:19 PDT 2010

Gluten is very high in protein.  I used to add a lot to a batch of dough when I used to bake our bread.  For most people it is a nutritious food, but for others, as Andreas noted, it can cause a range of problems from the mildly annoying to the very serious.

Peanuts also cause an allergic reaction in part of the population; even a little bit of a peanut product or peanut derivative can be fatal as in a tragic case a few years ago to a school child in Spokane.

And I assume most know about lactose intolerance which also can cause a range of unpleasantness.

People with these kinds of issues have a difficult time when dining out as gluten, peanut products, dairy products are often found in foods where you might not expect them.  They are used as favor enhancers, thickening agents, etc.  Gluten and dairy products are also found in some very effective muscle/athletic performance enhancement products.

Since allergies are individualistic, Gary, et al can only find if a gluten free diet has advantages for them by trying such a diet for a few weeks.

W.