[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter X--March 12-19, 2010

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 11:15:16 PDT 2010

I suppose it's not the worst requirement ever imposed on someone, but I
just don't like the idea of heading down this road especially if it's in
an effort to solve a problem that isn't that big of a deal anyway.

When you are required to show ID to vote, how much farther of a step is
it to require that you have your ID on you at all times in public areas
in the name of safety or fighting terrorism or thinking of the children
or whatever?

If voter fraud was a real issue, then maybe I could see doing this as
long as there are caveats about it's limits or a procedure put in place
that a person could prove who they are without having to have an ID card
(perhaps as part of the absentee ballot process).

I like my freedoms, small as they may be, and I just don't want to be
too cavalier about giving them up.

Paul