[Vision2020] Legislative Newsletter X--March 12-19, 2010

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 20 09:24:48 PDT 2010

Thank you for the update, I have some comments about one of the bills
that was voted on:

Rep. Tom Trail wrote:
>  2.   Voter ID Bill  --  HB496 passed the house on a 64-6 vote.  The bill
> would require voters to show photo ID at the polls before they vote.
> One of my concerns is that the Secretary of State reports that there do
> not appear to be any major problems with voter fraud in Idaho.  In one
> sense this is a solution in search of a problem.

Doesn't this disenfranchise voters that simply don't drive?  Having a
form of photo ID is not a requirement of a citizen of this country, as
far as I can tell.  So why make it a requirement for voting?  Especially
if it is a solution in search of a problem.

What do you do if you don't have a driver's license, aren't a member of
the military, or don't work for an organization that gives out photo
IDs?  Do you have to go through the process of getting a passport just
so you can vote?  That seems a bit extreme.

It also seems like a step down the road towards a "papers, please" style
of government that I would rather do without.

Paul