[Vision2020] Another good argument for the death penalty

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 01:35:40 PDT 2010

Sorry but I'm having trouble sleeping -- so I'm going to comment on
this, too. Here is Andreas' argument -- which is VERY good, I think:

There is no situation where the judicially-sanctioned murder of an
innocent person is justified.
Regimes which allow the death penalty result in the execution of
innocent people.
Therefore, the death penalty is never justified.

claims that the "first premise does not apply". Second, he asks: "By
what method, one that is generally agreed upon, can you establish the
truth of your first premise"? Art makes no comment about the second
premise but at another point he concedes "The probability that Joseph
Duncan is innocent is infinitesimally close to zero." Given this is
only a probability, it is likely true in societies that consistently
and regularly apply the death penalty. Also, there is evidence from
societies that do apply the death penalty that this is true.

Art says, given that Duncan is likely guilty, the "first premise does
not apply". But I don't see the argument. In fact, I think that since
Duncan's guilt is only probable (and ESPECIALLY given the concession
of the second premise), it is more than likely that the state would
sanction the killing of an innocent person, were the death penalty
applied on a consistent and regular basis.

I've already commented on Art's second point in another post. I
disagree, respectfully, for he is raising an important and somewhat
obvious set of questions: Who is to say about ethics? And it does no
good to note that God is to say. Of course (I say to my fellow
believers), God is to say. Art is not asking about that. He is asking,
How can anyone know that God (or something else) is to say? Who knows
who is to say, or what it would even mean to say that something is
right or something is wrong? How could we come to know this? Theories
abound but answers are lacking.

I think it is the wrong question to ask. A better question is: What is
the right thing to do? In response, I say: it is wrong to kill
innocent persons, always. How do I know  this? You tell me how I know
-- by whatever standard you suggest -- that I have a hand, and I'll
show that it is wrong to kill innocent persons. It is common sense.
Nothing more is needed and nothing more can be given.

I think that is a pretty good argument for premise one. I'd like to
know what you think -- and thanks for your thoughtful post!

Best, Joe