[Vision2020] The UI and tuition

John Pool jpool at moscow.com
Mon Mar 15 16:00:11 PDT 2010

I think that, if the UI wants to change tuition like the other state
schools, they probably have a moral and ethical obligation to follow the
same state laws as the other schools with regard to hiring preference,
anti-discrimination, etc. But legally, I don't think they have to do
anything that is not in the amendment that we are voting on in November. If
that amendment only addresses the ability of the UI to charge tuition, and
the amendment passes, then the UI will be able to charge tuition but will in
other respects operate under the special rules that apply to it now.

On the other hand, I'm not a lawyer, have absolutely no wish to subject
myself to that special form of sadism (or is it masochism?) known as Law
School and thus may be totally wrong.

On the third hand, I am a veteran (SSGT, USAF, 69-73), a graduate of the UI
('75, '98) and thought that I received some points for being a vet when I
applied for work there in 1974. So at least at the time, I thought the UI
was showing vets some preference in hiring. That was, however, a while ago,
and the UI personnel office may have changed its tune in the interim.

Which is all to say that I am squarely in the middle in the great "tuition
vs hiring preferences" debate of Ought Ten.

John Pool