[Vision2020] Teabaggers

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 11 08:56:41 PST 2010

On Thursday 11 March 2010 07:37:16 keely emerinemix wrote:
> That George and Thomas are numbered among anti-slavery
> abolitionists, as appears to be the contention here, is as
> ludicrous as it is offensive.  They may not have been the
> absolutely worst slaveholders ever, but I don't think either man's
> biographies are testimonies to their egalitarian, Christian,
> progressive morals.

Retrospective application of our generation's morals and ethics to
their generation does neither generation any favors or good.

Characterizing either Washington or Jefferson as Christian may be more
an exercise in wishful thinking than in recognizing their behaviors.
Both men studied the belief systems of their days, with results that
are probably better reported by considering Washington as a Deist and
Jefferson as a Freethinker.

Many of us still have much to learn from both of them. Read on.

Ken