[Vision2020] UI to Furlough Employees

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Mar 5 13:11:12 PST 2010

Dr. VanOver wasn't cut from any mold.  He was extremely unique.

If you were to walk into a crowded store, after being told that one of the
customers in that store is/was a PhD, David VanOver would be at/near the
bottom of the list of your PhD suspects.

He has a heavy Texas droll and, on more than one occasion, wore blue jeans
and a Mickey Mouse shirt to class.  The guy is a die-hard football fan
(comes from being a Texan, I guess).  The guy is/was an experience.

During one of his classes, and after a friend of mine, who attended NIC
with, me had telephonically contacted Dr. VanOver (Who was also my
adviser) informing him that she (my friend)

1)  was Dr. Cynthia Pierce of the Inland Northwest Sperm Bank, and

2)  was informed that Tom Hansen is a student in one of his classes, and

3)  that Tom Hansen needed to contact her as soon as possible, because . . .

4)  there is something wrong with Tom Hansen's "sample".

Dr. VanOver passed this on to me, in class, with a clook that can only be
described as peculiar.  But he got a good laugh out of it when I told him
who Cindy Pierce really is.

UI will never see the likes of Dr. David VanOver again.

If things don't change for the better in the next five/ten years, UI will
amount to nothing more than a diploma mill with a side business as a day
care center.

> On Thursday 04 March 2010 14:49:05 Tom Hansen wrote:
> <[snip]>
>> As a sidebar of interest:  As a student at UI, I sat on (and was a
>> voting member of), Dr. David VanOver's (Management Information
>> Systems) tenure committee.
>
> Was that an interesting experience?
>
>> Yes.  Students are selected to be voting members on tenure
>> committees at the rate of two students per committee.
>
> Three dozen years ago the Board of Regents approved student
> participation in the tenuring and tenure review process.
>
>> Dr VanOver was an excellent professor and I was extremely fortunate
>> to have him for a few classes.
>>
>> However, ever since UI's problems developed a cancer, Dr. VanOver
>> moved on to the University of Texas where upper management actually
>> gives a sh*t about faculty retention.
>
> Here is information from the website of the University of Wollongong
> in Dubai regarding the gentleman whose tenure you considered. He
> appears to be enjoying an interesting career.
>
> Dr. David Van Over
> BA, MA, MBA, PhD Houston
>
> Dr. David Van Over is the Dean, Faculty of Business and Management and
> teaches courses in Information Technology. He received a PhD in
> Information Systems, an MBA in Market Research, an MA in Psychology,
> and a BA in Psychology all from the University of Houston (USA).
> Prior to joining UOWD, Dr. Van Over held similar positions in
> American universities, including University of Georgia, University of
> Idaho, University of Houston, and Texas A&M University.
>
> Dr. Van Over has written extensively in the areas of group decision
> making, simulation, and pedagogical issues of the IT field. He has
> won several teaching awards including being named “Teacher of the
> Year” at the University of Georgia.
>
> Dr. Van Over is a corporate consultant, trainer, and group
> facilitator. He was employed by both Deloitte & Touche and IBM as a
> business consultant. He also has extensive industry experience in the
> oil and gas and engineering fields. He has worked as a systems
> analyst and system designer (6 systems) and was the director of IT
> for an international oil and gas services company.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ylr3dbh
>

> Ken

>  List services made available by First Step Internet,

and the Realist adjusts his sails."