[Vision2020] MPD Press Release

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:22:23 PST 2010

The Boise City Council adopted new code in 2010 addressing bicycle safety
that, as the article at the website below states, "puts teeth" into the
code. And the Idaho legislature is considering changes to the Idaho bicycle
code.  But I don't think the new Boise code goes far enough.  The code
should be worded strongly to favor the safety of all using human powered
transportation, even if this slows traffic and puts a large burden of legal
responsibility on the drivers of motor vehicles if they
strike someone engaged in human powered transportation, on sidewalks or in
marked crosswalks.

The new Boise code has a three feet rule that requires motor vehicles to
pass with at least three feet of clearance from bicycles, and adds new code
regarding motor vehicles turning left or right into the path of bicycles.
It also requires bicyclists to behave more carefully in several ways.

Info on the new Boise traffic code regarding bicycles:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/boise-council-puts-teeth-in-bike-passing-law/Content?oid=1437778
--------------------------------------

I was struck in Moscow recently by a motor vehicle (car) heading west
turning left into a drive-in on the sidewalk, when I was on this sidewalk
riding east, under a lit streetlight, when the motor vehicle's lights passed
directly over me as the vehicle turned, when I had a large front reflector
and back blinking light on visible to the sides (which is the direction the
driver was facing my bike as he turned into the sidewalk drive-in), and a
coat with bright yellow markings.  I know for a fact I was clearly visible
to the driver, assuming they were attentive and had good eyesight; yet with
no front light on, I was not following Idaho code, given that, though there
was still some daylight left, it was past sunset.  I had made an assumption
that motor vehicles are required to yield to all those using sidewalks; and
unless i misunderstand the code, no motor vehicles are allowed on sidewalks
except to pass through a sidewalk at drive-ins.  Also, a front light and
back reflector (the two requirements for bicycles) may not prevent a side
impact collision.  The code should read that bicycles have a light that
shines to both sides, as well as a front light and back facing reflector.
There are lights that illuminate to the sides as well as the direction they
are aimed, which is the sort of light I had on when I was hit, though it was
in the back.  The new Boise city code might be applicable to the situation I
faced on the sidewalk where I was recently struck, but the law is a tricky
beast...

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett