[Vision2020] UI to Furlough Employees

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Wed Mar 3 15:35:06 PST 2010

RE: [Vision2020] UI to Furlough EmployeesNick,

In my years at the UI both as a student and later in the early 1990s teaching in the Math Department, the School of Business, and as your colleague in the Philosophy Department, my experience compels me to respectfully disagree with you.

I taught Finite Math, for example.  There were several sections of this class.  One was taught by the very conscientious tenured Bill Voxman who did an outstanding job.  Some of the other sections were taught other tenured faculty.  There were not just student complaints, but I had one of these tenured faculty when I was a math student here.  This faculty member was an atrocious teacher, and his attitude toward students was that if they didn't get the subject the way I taught it, tough, I'm not changing!

In the business school one very key class in an area where there was rapidly changing/advancing knowledge was being taught by a tenured faculty member using notes 10 years old; not only were the students being taught useless, out-of-date material, they were being harmed.  I talked to the department head about it; he agreed basically with my assessment but said there was nothing he could practically do about it given the circumstances.

Also when I was teaching in the School of business, students were required to take a certain computer science course with which all of them had a difficult time if they had a particular instructress.  Many banded together to teach themselves.  I had observed this instructress in this class because in the previous semester she kept students in the class right before mine well after the bell and sometimes after the second bell.  She was an atrocious instructress, very abusive to students, and presented material which was in error.  She was later tenured without dissent.

When I taught Ethics, a multi-section class in the philosophy department, there was more than one tenured faculty whose teaching style and rate of success in this class was under constant criticism by students.  The attitude of these instructors here again was that if the students didn't get the way I taught it, tough, I'm not changing!

These kind of teachers need to change their attitudes and approaches or be sent on their way.  We are hired to teach.  That means that the students actually learn, and professionally this means that we continue to improve our methods and presentations so that student learning is maximized.  If student performance is poor in a class semester after semester, it is highly probable that it is not the students, but the instructor and his/her approach responsible for these results.  If no learning is taking place, no teaching is either.

I could give you many further examples from my student and teaching years.  Hence, if in all your years at the UI only one tenured faculty member was deemed incompetent to teach, that is more than a real condemnation of the tenure system; it is a mockery, and a monument to administrative blindness.

Like you, I don't trust some in the administration either.  I don't trust that all of them are always fair with faculty evaluations or evaluations of other administrators.  I don't trust them to look after student interests as a priority.  Unlike you, I don't completely trust tenured faculty to review themselves or candidates for tenure.  There is too much self-interest at stake.

The entire system needs to be reformed and to be replaced so that the fundamental goals of the university are accomplished with maximal effectiveness and with fairness to all:  students, staff, and faculty alike.

I omitted two other reasons for dismissing faculty.  One is obsolescence of subject matter.  The other is that the importance of certain subjects become marginal in light of the changing world, the resources available to the university, and the attendant changes in the specific missions of the university.  The UI cannot be all things to all potential students.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843