[Vision2020] Economy Delays Construction on Hawkins Site, Again

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Mar 3 06:13:52 PST 2010

Courtesy of today's (March 3, 2010) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

Economy delays construction on Hawkins site, again
By Sarah Mason, Daily News staff writer

With an eye on the struggling economy, Jeffrey DeVoe, representative of
the Hawkins Companies Commercial Developers, said the company is not
likely to move any soil on the Hawkins project land west of Moscow within
the year.

"Hawkins is as committed as ever to that project," DeVoe said. "It will
happen, it just may not happen right now."

Hawkins Companies has owned a swath of land in Whitman County for about
three years where they intend to open a 700,000-square-foot shopping
center. Economic downswing has stopped development on the Hawkins project
in years past, but DeVoe said the company still plans on developing the
site.

"We've invested multiples of millions in this project," he said. "We're
not walking away."

After purchasing the land, Hawkins secured water rights and drilled
several test wells on the site. Since then, a sign facing the
Pullman-Moscow Highway has proclaimed a shopping center is "coming soon,"
but no crews have started the work.

The company previously voiced its hope to have some development in place
by summer or early fall of 2009, with a Lowe's hardware store as an anchor
store.

DeVoe said when the company purchased the land, commercial businesses were
prepared to sign a lease and move in. Now the market is much less viable,
he said.

"The general sentiment back in, say, mid-2007 or 2006 the tenants were
saying, 'You've got a great idea for that corner. ... Here's a lease, now
go build it," he said. But now it's "Well if you wanna put a center there,
go ahead and maybe we'll go check it out (later)."

The current bidding atmosphere among subcontractors has been near or at
cost levels around the country as a result of the struggling economy.
Hawkins Companies has been able to take advantage of these prices for some
other projects, but the Whitman County project is too large for the
company to commit to currently, DeVoe said.

"We're talking $100 million of construction," he said. "You've gotta make
darn sure you can commit to this project. You may save $20 million, but
you still have to come up with $80 million."

DeVoe said the market could change any day, and Hawkins has no intent on
leaving the Whitman County project behind.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown